This easy Thai red curry recipe with chicken is delicious and creamy from the coconut milk and the flavorful red curry paste.
1 lb chicken, bite-sized, 1-2 inches thick
1 cup coconut cream
1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1/3 cup curry paste
1 can bamboo slices (20 oz can)
2 ½ Tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
1 cup Thai basil, separate the leaves
- Open the can of bamboo, rinse out the liquid in a colander, rinse in warm water and place the bamboo slices in a saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil on medium heat for 10 minutes. Discard the water and drain the bamboo slices and put it to the side.
- Heat the coconut cream in a soup pot on medium heat until boiled.
- Add the curry paste and garlic, break up the curry paste, stir and cook until boiled.
- Add chicken, bamboo slices and coconut milk and stir together. Cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add brown sugar, kaffir lime leaves and stir together, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the basil leaves, stir and let the curry cool off for 5 minutes. Serve with rice!
- It’s important that you boil the canned bamboo shoot slices first to remove the metallic taste from the can.
- You can also use beef, pork, shrimp, or firm tofu for the protein in place of chicken.
- Kaffir lime leaves are crucial for the flavor profile. It’s hard for me to recommend a substitute, as there’s nothing out there close to this flavor. If possible, find kaffir lime leaves in Asian markets either in the refrigerated or in the freezer section.
- If unable to find Thai basil, Italian sweet basil is not a bad substitute.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Easy Dinner
- Method: Curry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Authentic Thai red curry recipe, Thai red curry, Thai chicken red curry