Thai green curry fried rice is a delicious and easy recipe that marries two recipes into one robust dish using fried rice and green curry paste. You don’t want to miss out on the flavor explosion of this lesser-known Thai recipe.
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp seasoning sauce
- 1 ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
The other ingredients:
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice. Notes* day old or let dry at room temp for 1-hour
- ¼ cup oil. High smoking point oil only, such as vegetable, coconut, grape, avocado, or sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp curry paste, 2 tbsp if using store-bought
- 8 oz pork loin, beef, or chicken (½ lb), thinly sliced against the grain. (why against the grain?)
- ¾ cup sweet onion
- 1 cup Thai eggplants, chopped small ¼ inch cubed size
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, julienned. (2 tbsp)
- ½ cup Thai basil, chopped into large pieces
- Mix the sauces. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium-high heat, add eggs, and scramble into omelets. Leave in large pieces. Remove from wok/skillet. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the wok, add garlic and cook for a few seconds, add the curry paste. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the pork and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onion, eggplants, and kaffir leaves. Stir together well. Cook until the vegetables are slightly tender. (1-2 minutes max.)
- Add rice, break up the clumps, and stir.
- Add sauces, stir well, and cook for 2 more minutes. Helpful notes* Spread the rice evenly on the wok/skillet surface to let the moisture from the food escape. This will allow the fried rice to be on the drier side rather than the mushy rice.
- Add the Thai basil, stir in well. Turn the heat off and let the residual heat wilt/cook the basil leaves. Carefully taste the fried rice, adjust with more sugar, fish sauce, or seasoning sauce as needed. Serve warm. Garnish with more white pepper, chopped fresh chili, or basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Rice: Use day-old Jasmine rice. That means, use rice that's been cooked the day before so there's less moisture in it so when stir-frying, it's less likely to get mushy. If you are unable to cook your rice the day before, try this. Use less water when cooking the jasmine rice. Once the rice is cooked, spread the rice out on a large platter-like baking sheet for an hour or so before using it to stirfry.
- Green curry paste: If you have store-bought paste, you will need to use slightly less than what the recipe asked for. if store-bought. Store-bought pastes tend to be saltier too. You may need to add a little extra sugar to the final dish to help balance the salty flavor. Start with 1 tsp of sugar and add more if necessary.
- Kaffir lime leaves: The leaves add a very distinctive taste to the recipe. Don’t skip it if possible. Check with your local Asian market. You can read up more on kaffir lime leaves here. Kaffir lime leaves and substitute.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Fried Rice
- Method: Stir fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai green curry fried rice. thai green curry fried rice recipe. green curry fried rice, thai curry fried rice.