Easy Thai Tom Yum Soup With Chicken is a popular Thai sour and spicy soup with bold flavors from chicken broth, tom yum soup paste, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, and fresh lime juice. It's healthy and delicious all in one bowl!
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup cilantro stems, sliced 3 inches long
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
- 3 stalk lemongrass, cut 3-4 inches long
- 4 pieces galangal, golf ball sized in diameter, bruise lightly before using.
- 1/4 cup Tom Yum paste. Use less to reduce spiciness but adjust the final taste with more fish sauce, tamarind, and sugar.
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¾ cup shallot sliced long and thin
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped tomato, bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3-4 stalks of cilantro, chopped small
- 3 whole chili peppers (optional)
- Add the stock to a soup pot and boil on medium-high heat.
- Add Tom Yum paste and stir well until the paste dissolves.
- Add all the herbs (kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, and cilantro stems) and stir. The Thai chilis are optional if you want more heat. Turn the heat to medium and let simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken, stir, and cook until done. It takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shallot, mushroom, and tomato and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add fish sauce and lime juice, cook for 1-2 minutes, turn the heat off, and remove from the stovetop. Taste the delicious tangy broth. And adjust as needed with more fish sauce and lime juice. Be careful here; the soup is still very hot, so make sure you don’t burn your tongue. Remove the lemongrass stalks before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy your chicken Tom Yum Soup!
- Tom Yum soup can be eaten as a stand-alone dish. You can add cooked Jasmine rice to the bowl if desired. My Thai family and I often do so as it makes the soup more hearty. Rice also serves as a great buffer for the spicy flavors of the soup! (:
- You'll need to visit your local Asian market to get all the ingredients to make the most authentic tom yum soup recipe.
- If you have Thai chili paste, use it in addition to the Tom yum paste.
- Don’t forget to remove the chunky herbs before eating, especially the lemongrass, if you don’t want to eat them. They will not harm you, but they are pretty strong in flavor and hard to chew if you are not used to them.
- To make the creamy version of this sour chicken soup, use coconut milk instead of stock or water.
** Thank you so much for visiting my blog! This is truly a passion for me. If you have enjoyed these recipes and appreciate the hard work I put into them, I would love it if you would share them with your friends! Your recommendation is the highest review I could hope for, and I’d appreciate it! **
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: soups
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Tom Yum Soup, Tom Yum Gai, Tom Yum Soup Paste Recipe, Clear Thai Chicken Soup, Tom Yum Recipe, authentic tom yum chicken recipe