Tom Kha gai is a very well known Thai soup made by using chicken, coconut milk, herbs fish sauce, and lime juice. It is a creamy light soup that is not only delicious but also full of fresh herbs that will keep you healthy all winter long.
4 cups chicken stock
5 slices galangal, around 1.5 inch wide and slightly larger than the thickness of a quarter (coin)
3 lemongrass stalks; use only the rounded light green part at the bottom (See note in recipe card)
5 kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
1 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups of thinly sliced mushrooms (i.e. button, shitake)
4 ½ Tbsp fish sauce
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
3 Tbsp lime juice
¼ cup cilantro, stems and leafy parts chopped
2 Fresh Thai chili pepper (Optional)
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven on medium high heat, add stock, galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil. (You are essentially making a quick stock here for the soup base.)
- Add chicken, mushroom and fish sauce. Lower heat to medium high. Cook until the chicken is done (anywhere from 8-10 minutes, depending on your stove top).
- Add the entire can of coconut milk (I used Aroy-D for this recipe). Stir together and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, stir in together and cook for a minute or so and turn the heat off.
- Turn the heat off and remove the sauce pan from the stove top. Add lime juice and stir in one last time.
- Let cool for a few short minutes and portion out in soup bowls for serving. Garnish with cilantro.
And that is it folks! Simple, easy, healthy, creamy, light and super delicious!
*Lemongrass-use only the rounded bottom part of the lemongrass for cooking. Cut the stalk around 3-5 inches long and make sure to bruise them with a heavy kitchen tool to help release the flavor and fragrant even more.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Easy
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai coconut soup. thai chicken coconut soup. tom kha gai. Thai coconut chicken soup. easy thai soup