This homemade Thai sweet chili dipping sauce, or Nam Jim Gai, is one of the easiest sauces to whip up for party appetizers. Its simple recipe calls for only seven ingredients, including water! Ready for dipping in 20 minutes!
- 1-6 fresh Thai chilis
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon starch. Tapioca, corn, potato, or regular flour.
- 1 cup water plus 2 tablespoons for making tapioca starch slurry
- Add fresh chili and garlic to a spice grinder and blitz for a few seconds only. Leave some of the chunks intact for texture.
- Make the tapioca slurry. Add 1 tablespoon of starch with 2 tablespoons of water, mix until dissolved, and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a saucepan (not the slurry yet). Bring the sauce to a gentle boil on medium-high heat and stir often. It takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to medium heat and add the tapioca slurry. Stir in well and cook until the sauce thickens. It takes about 3-4 minutes. If it doesn't thicken enough for you, add a little extra cornstarch mixture and stir well. It will thicken as it sits too.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool. You now have yourself an authentic sweet chili sauce! Add thinly sliced carrots and cilantro to garnish for extra crunch and flavor. Enjoy your favorite appetizers!
- If you can’t handle the heat but want more of the red color in the sauce, add sliced red bell peppers.
- Adjust the number of chilis as needed for different spice levels. Add more or less Thai red chilies to make this spicy sauce work for you.
- If you don’t have a spice grinder, use a mortar and pestle to crush the chilis and garlic until they are roughly pounded but not paste-like.
- If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, chop the chili and garlic into small pieces.
- You can use a food processor, too, by adding everything minus the tapioca slurry and blending only very quickly. Leaving the garlic and chilis somewhat in chunks.
** Thank you so much for visiting my blog! This is truly a passion for me. If you have enjoyed these recipes and appreciate the hard work I put into them, I would love it if you would share them with your friends! Your recommendation is the highest review I could hope for, and I’d appreciate it!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: thai sweet chili dipping sauce, thai dipping sauce, that sweet spicy dipping sauce, nam jim gai, Thai dipping sauce recipe