If you love tofu and spicy food, Spicy Thai garlic and pepper tofu is a perfect dish to serve as a healthy yet delicious option. The crispy tofu seasoned with savory sauces makes this stir fry a delightful dish that comes together quickly!
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, sliced into large pieces 1x2 inches
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 small jalapeños, sliced small and thin. Seeds removed. Use green sweet bell peppers to reduce the spiciness.
- 1 cup red bell pepper sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced small
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar. Use lime juice or apple cider vinegar as a substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Brown, palm, coconut, monk, or white sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon ground white pepper. Add less for spiciness. Use black pepper as a substitute.
- 1/4 cup water
- Prepare the tofu. Pat dry with paper towels and squeeze the excess water without breaking the tofu. Slice the tofu pieces into large thick pieces, 1x2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add the tofu and cook until the tofu turns lightly crispy on the edges. 4-5 minutes on each side. Use a tong to flip the tofu. Transfer the cooked tofu from the pan into a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- While the tofu is cooking, make the sauce by combining soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, sugar, ground pepper, and water. Mix and stir together in a small bowl.
- Turn the stove to medium heat, and add garlic and jalapeños to the oil from the tofu. If there's not enough oil left, add one tablespoon to the pan. Stir and cook for 45 seconds until the garlic turns light brown and fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add the red bell peppers and water, stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the peppers are lightly tender. Add a little (1-2 tablespoons) water to the pan to keep it from burning, which helps tenderize the peppers.
- Add the sauce and the dry chilis, and leave the chilis whole. Omit the chilis if you don’t want more spiciness. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the tofu and green onions, stir well, and cook for 1 minute more. Add the sesame seeds and turn the heat off. Serve over cooked jasmine rice or a bed of thinly sliced veggies. That's it! Super easy!
Garnishing options: thinly sliced green onions (spring onions), sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, or more thinly chopped Thai chilis.
- Cubes and have a good texture for this stir-fry recipe. They are available at Asian markets in the refrigerated section. They go bad quickly, so use them within 2 days of buying.
- You can bake your tofu in the oven. Place the tofu cubes on a sprayed baking tray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- You can also air fry your tofu in the air fryer if you have one. Spray the tofu with cooking spray and air fry for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees or until lightly golden crispy.
- Vegetable options to add to this garlic tofu recipe are. Red onion, bell peppers, red or green bell pepper, baby bok choy, Portello or shiitake mushrooms, pea pods, and broccoli.
** Thank you so much for visiting my blog! This is truly a passion for me. If you have enjoyed these recipes and appreciate the hard work I put into them, I would love it if you would share them with your friends! Your recommendation is the highest review I could hope for, and I’d appreciate it! **
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Tofu, Vegetarian, Easy
- Method: Stir fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Spicy Thai garlic and pepper tofu, garlic pepper tofu, thai tofu recipes, thai tofu, pepper garlic and tofu, Tao Hoo gratiem prik thai