Pad Thai has incredible flavors and textures that is hard to forget. So, let’s get you a Pad Thai recipe that you can make over and over again.
5 Tbsp Shallot Oil (Can substitute vegetable oil)
4 Oz Pressed Firm Tofu
5 Cloves Garlic Diced
3 Oz Shallots, Chopped
2 Tbsp Dried Shrimp
1 Tbsp Pickled Radish (optional)
10 Oz Rice Noodles (soak in hot water for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside)
2 Cups Bean Sprouts
½ Cup Green Onions chopped into 1 inch length
3 Tbsp Crushed Peanuts
8 Oz Raw Shrimp
4 Tbsp Palm Sugar (or 3 Tbsp brown sugar to substitute)
4 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
Mix all the sauces together, zap in the microwave for 1 minute, stir well and set aside.
For Garnishing (as desired)
Chili pepper flakes
- Heat a wok on high heat for 2 minutes until hot. Add 3 tbsp of oil to wok.
- Cook the tofu until golden brown. I used the fried and pressed firm tofu (found at Asian Market in the fridge section). Find extra firm tofu for this if possible.
- Add garlic and shallots to wok and stir for 1 minute.
- Add dried shrimp and pickled radish and cook for 1 minute.
- Add raw shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add noodles and stir for 2 minutes until noodles wilt just a bit.
- Add the sauce and stir some more. Gentle here as the noodles is soft and will break easily. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Push noodles to the outer sides of the pan as if making a volcano crater, add the rest of the oil to the middle part. Add the eggs into the oil, let sit for 1 minute until the eggs hardened just a bit. Then lightly scramble the eggs for 2 minutes. Finally, gently stir the entire thing together. Turn off the heat but do not remove pan yet.
- Add most of the bean sprouts (save a handful for garnishing), green onions and half of the crushed peanuts into the pan. Stir in very lightly. Move the pan for the stove top. THEN taste your freshly homemade Pad Thai. Adjust flavor as needed with fish sauce or sugar. Go easy. Plate your glorious creation, garnish with chili flakes, crushed peanuts and the rest of the sprouts. Share if you can and ENJOY! (;