A simple recipe for Thai beef salad made with fresh summer vegetables, herbs, lime juice, and fish sauce. Once you gather all your ingredients for this Thai beef salad recipe, you’ll be eating a tasty meal in less than 30 minutes (minus the marinating part)!
For the marinade:
1 lb beef: top round roast, round steak or flanks
2 Tbsp fish sauce
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
For the salad:
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
1 cup shallots, sliced long and thin (2-3 large shallots)
1 cup English, Persian, or pickling cucumbers sliced long and thin
1 cup celery, top leafy parts chopped into ½-inch pieces
½ cup celery stems, thinly sliced
1 cup mint leaves, lightly packed and chopped in large chunks
1 cup cilantro, sliced ½ inch long
¼ cup lime juice
2 Tbsp fish sauce
½ tsp white sugar
1-3 Tbsp Chili flakes (Totally optional and adjustable here!)
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- Marinate the meat with fish sauce and lime juice for a few hours. See the above section on marinating if you are short on time.
- Chop up the vegetables and herbs as instructed and put in a large bowl
- Mix the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar together in a bowl and wait until the meat is ready before adding to the entire mixture at the end.
- On a medium or high heat stovetop, add oil until warm then add the beef to the cast iron or sautéing pan. See notes for preventing hot oil splashing.
- Do not throw away the extra marinating sauce, add the sauce to the pan and let the meat cook 6-10 minutes or until the meat is cooked to your preference. Rare, medium-rare, medium, etc. You want to err on the rare side so the meat is tender when added to the salad.
- When the meat is ready, remove it from the pan to a cutting board and let it rest. See notes below resting.
- Add the salad sauce/dressing to the vegetable bowl, mix well, and get ready to cut the meat.
- Slice the meat thin and long, save all the juices coming from the cutting of the meat, and pour all of it, the meat and the juice into the salad bowl. Add the chili flakes, mix gently but well and let it chill for a couple of minutes while you set the table. Put on a serving platter and ENJOY!
- See notes on how to authentically eat this tasty Thai beef salad.
- The oil will splash a bit, use a lid until it stops then leave the pan open to let the meat cook and the sauce reduce.
- ALWAYS let your cooked meat rest for a few minutes on a cutting surface before cutting into it. At least 5 minutes of rest is recommended, but not longer than 15. The rest allows the juice of the meat to fully infuse and redistribute the flavors fully into the cooked beef.
- Thais normally eat this dish with sticky rice. It can be considered a finger food experience. You can use your fingers to roll the sticky rice into a ball and then just scoop up the salad onto the bite-size rice ball and lick your fingers at the end of each bite! (: Just don’t double dip if you are sharing the plate with someone! Here are my recipes for how to cook Thai sticky rice.
- This recipe is best eaten in one sitting. It does not do well the next day or even the next meal. The vegetables will get soggy and will take away from the experience of eating a fresh salad.
The spiciness level is ADJUSTABLE. Always! (:
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: easy thai beef salad recipe. thai beef salad. spicy salad recipe. Thai salad recipe