Butterfly pea lemonade is a refreshing, healthy, delicious, fun, and naturally colorful drink. It is also very simple to make as a perfect add-on to your backyard grilling! It's a perfect summer drink!
- 6 cups of hot water
- 1/4 cup dried butterfly pea flowers.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon or lime juice for added tanginess. or 1 1/2 cups pre-made lemonade. Adjust as needed, as each brand has a different level of sweetness and tanginess.
- Garnishing options. Ginger, mint, Thai basil, kaffir lime leaves, rosemary, lemon, or lime slices.
- Heat water in a tea kettle, saucepan, or soup pot and bring to a boil. Combine the sugar and dried blue butterfly pea flowers in a glass bowl or medium-sized pot. Add the boiling water to the tea mixture and let the infusion of the flower petals steep for 15 minutes. Use a whisk to stir and make sure the sugar is dissolved.
- Strain the tea mixture over the sink with a fine strainer and place the tea in a vase. Let cool and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. Be careful of the warm water during this step. Notice the stunning bright blue color! Such magical color!
- Prepare your glasses with ice cubes and garnish options. A tall glass works well for this. Pour the cold blue tea over your glasses and leave the top 2-3 inches at the top for lemon or lime juice or lemonade.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoon (per serving) of lime or lemon juice over the blue tea and watch the magic happens! Watch the magic tricks happening before your eyes! The tea will turn all shades of pink, bright purple, and magenta. The layered look is quite hypnotizing to watch! Taste the tea and adjust the flavor with more lemon or lime juice. Or you can use store-bought lemonade, too, for a less sour lemonade.
Garnishing ideas: Use fresh mint, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, rosemary, Thai basil, cucumber slices, lemon, lime, oranges, peaches, nectarine, and so much more!
Enjoy your butterfly pea homemade lemonade recipe!
- Use a pre-made lemonade if you don’t want to squeeze lime/lemon juice or if you want to make a big batch for a party.
- Use less of the dried flowers if you want a lighter blue color. My recipe uses 1/4 cup of butterfly pea flower tea. Try 1 tbsp butterfly pea flowers and go from there.
- Sugar. Use white, palm, coconut, or monk fruit sugar. Honey is a great option too.
- For an added flavor, use this Tom Yum homemade simple syrup instead of the sugar mentioned above.
- For a fun idea, store the extra lemonade in ice-cubed trays to use as ice to throw in your pitcher. Two birds with one stone!
- Try selling butterfly pea tea lemonade instead at your lemonade stand, and watch the fun reactions and conversations to follow!
** Thank you so much for visiting my blog! This is truly a passion for me. If you have enjoyed these recipes and appreciate the hard work I put into them, I would love it if you would share them with your friends! Your recommendation is the highest review I could hope for, and I’d appreciate it! **
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: butterfly pea flower lemonade, butterfly pea lemonade, butterfly lemonade, butterfly pea drink, butterfly pea,